Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pet Peeve

Not too much happening right now. I'm starting to do a little more at home, like helping to prepare dinner. This time next week the cervical stitch will be out. I'm pretty nervous about that, I don't know how much it will hurt or how soon I will go into labour after that. The first week of February is crazy busy for Ben at work, so I'm not "allowed" to deliver then. Ha Ha.

I just felt like sharing a pet peeve. Being on modified bedrest hasn't been super fun but I do realize that much worse can happen during a pregnancy. I've also had help. Ben has been a great supporter, my mom has cleaned like crazy (she even cleaned my dishwasher with Q-tips), people have visited and provided books and movies to keep me entertained. But a few people have made the comment (I don't think anyone who reads my blog did), "Well, enjoy the rest now because your life will change once the baby is here. You'll be wishing for this time back."

First, I understand raising children is exhausting, frustrating and a lot of work but I hate it when people only focus on the negative. Between the midnight feedings, diaper changes and crying babies smile, giggle, study your face and cuddle. Also, I'm sure I'll have a day or two of rest in the next 18 years somewhere.

Second, I don't believe they understand that I can't DO anything. Anyone who knows me knows I like to be busy. If I'm not actively doing something I'm planning or making a list. But now I can't go shopping or quilt or help with cleaning and cooking. I have to watch an exhausted Ben come home from work and still have to make dinner and clean up and spend his free time grocery shopping, cleaning the house and washing the car (and now spending hours with the GNF taxes, but I would be no help with that). All the while I feel guilty because I'm bored but I can't do anything about it.

It's like telling someone to eat until they are sick and then starve for a week. I'm sure they didn't enjoy the last meal that made them sick, it's too much of one thing only. And it doesn't help them prepare for the lack of food during the next week. (It's kind of like when people have told me they wish they were nauseated all the time like me so they could lose weight.)

On a happier note, I'm looking forward to the shower tomorrow. When it's past I'll be able to PLAN and pick up anything we still may need for the baby prior to, or soon after, her birth.

6 comments:

Krista said...

I do not envy you being pretty much incapacitated nor being nauseated all the time. I didn't experience the former but I did suffer the latter and it is not a way you want to be to lose weight! Jeepers - it's awful! Yeesh! Oh, and as a 'new mom', there are lots of sleepless nights, sure, but if you weren't willing to sacrifice a little sleep, you wouldn't have bothered trying for a baby in the first place. It's so much fun to watch that little person grow and change.

Still praying for you on our end. Good luck with having the stitch removed and here's hoping baby can hold on until after Ben's busy week!

Larissa said...

I had a lot of pet peeves when I was as pregnant as you. :) I hope the whole stitch removal isn't painful or scary! We'll be thinkiing about you! I hope you have a good time at your shower too!

Chantal Wiebe, M.Ed said...

It's so funny to 'hear' you have a pet peeve, Carolyn! I remember dave saying many times that when I was pregnant, I didn't take any s**t from anyone. I was more vocal, told people off on the sky train, stared people down (especially people who pushed me out of the way to take a seat when my bulging belly could have really used it)! People will always say things to annoy you. For now it's about the challenges of babies, next it will be tons of BAD advice!

ccap said...

Oh, Carolyn, do I HEAR you on your pet peeve! I feel completely the same way. Don't belittle someone their pain/their grief. I call those people "just you wait" people. If you're complaining about some part of motherhood or pregnancy they will shoot back with "just you wait". Well, how 'bout just shutting up and hearing the other person?! Drives me nuts.

mmichele said...

Oh I was going to say something about that!! Just you wait... blah blah blah. Apparently I am supposed to hate my teenagers!

And I agree, laying around is a drag.

Bert said...

Kid's are great. Sure there are sleepless night sometimes, but the first time they smile or say mama or dada makes it worthwhile.