Reading everyone elses blogs are preparing me for the unpredictability and potential grossness of becoming a mother. (i.e. diarrhea flying everywhere, emergency trips to the hospital). Despite all that I'm still looking forward to loving someone more than I could possibly imagine.
I have officially reached the 28 week hurdle of my pregnancy. But I'm still stressed and worried. I have been sick with a cold for 10 days. I have never been this ill with a simple cold before. I have a headache, I'm so stuffed sometimes I feel like I'm suffocating (an awful feeling I've never felt before), my throat is sore, I can barely talk and I'm coughing a lot which is making my "abs" and mid back sore.
I talked to my obstetrician yesterday and he was not happy about my coughing. Coughing increases the intraabdominal pressure which could possibly induce premature labor in my situation. Therefore, I am now taking tylenol 3 in attempt to inhibit the coughing. I took it last night with some relief. He also stated I need to continue the modified bedrest until 34 weeks. I'm praying for 36 weeks, only 8 more weeks to go!
I'm hoping in this situation the benefits of taking medications out weigh the risks. While I hate taking medication (I still feel like I'm poisoning my baby) I want to delay delivery as much as possible. My night table is hidden by cough syrup, nasal spray, eye drops (I have a minor eye infection too), hormones and pain killers. Ben was teasing me yesterday because his nightstand is handling the "overflow".
I'm pretty miserable now. I just hope I am able to keep our baby girl safe.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Oh Carolyn. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad! Hope you're feeling better soon.
Hey Carolyn, two words, CHICKEN SOUP. It's the best thing, makes me feel better even when I feel good!
I hope that you feel better soon.
U. John
Great idea John. I'll make you some Carolyn.
I hope you start feeling better soon so we can have a visit again. Don't worry, I took t3's during my pregnancy and felt horrible but I was told over and over that it's ok.
It's amazing what you put up with when you have kids. I LAUGHED at poop, pee, and throw-up. It's worth it, however when they smile at you the first time. Hope you feel better soon.
Man, oh, man. I read that women's immune systems shut down a little during pregnancy to prevent our bodies from rejecting the baby. It means being sick longer and more miserably, unfortunately.
You've probably tried every home remedy out there, but here are my suggestions: Try steaming your head over a bowl of hot water with a few drops of Eucalyptus essential oil. You can get the oil at the Body Shop for about $15. It's the only thing that worked for me when I had a cold when I was pregnant. Actually, it's the only thing that works for me, period, when I have a cold. I add it to the little reservoir of my humidifier for the nights, too. Vicks Vapo-Rub is good... Um... what else can I suggest? Mint Green Tea is really nice for sore throats or a Honey Lemon Tea. I know people who swear by plain old hot water and lemon with a little honey to take the bite off.
We're praying you make it to that magic 36 week mark!
Post a Comment