Well, as most of you know I am pregnant again. I am currently 17 weeks along and feeling pretty good. I had my cerclage on Wednesday, September 8. The surgery went well without any complications. My only complaint is that I didn't get an IV sooner. I was totally dehydrated and feeling crappy because I was fasting so long. When my resting heart rate was 125 beats per minute lying down, the nurse just said I was nervous. Well, if you're nervous you're blood pressure would INCREASE, mine was 80/40 lying down. (Normal is 120/80) I've had enough surgeries and procedures that I know how my body reacts I just wish people would listen to me. I sure hope I never make my patients feel stupid, they know their body the best. Then after the surgery when my heart rate was still 125 I asked the nurse to increase the flow of my IV (I know they can do that). She just told me to drink more. I was drinking water (slowly) but when you're that dehydrated if you drink a whole bunch really fast you will just throw up. I learnt that in school (and my body would tell me), don't they teach that to nurses too? I work with nurses everyday and some of my friends are nurses and they do a great job. Why do I always seem to get stuck with ones who think I'm an idiot?
Anyways, the anaesthesiologist was fantastic. When I told him it was difficult to put an IV in me he actually listened. He even put a local anesthetic in my arm before inserting the needle. It was the first pain free IV I've ever had. The worst was when I had my last cerclage and the nurse inserted it into my hand. It was burning and painful the whole time it was in and my hand hurt for days afterward.
I thought I would be able to work but when my doctor gave me a 20 pound lifting restriction my boss told me I cannot work anymore. At first I was panicked because you need 600 hours to get maternity leave through EI and I had only 570 hours. But after a little more research I discovered those hours include paid vacation and sick time, so I squeaked by with 604 hours.
I only had 2 weeks left of a term position I was filling. I was pretty upset that I couldn't finish it. It was nice to be working with my friends again. Now I'm with Aryana all the time. And...I LOVE it! She is so much fun and hilarious! She is picking up words so quickly. Today she even pooped in the potty for the first time!!! I'm not really pushing the potty training but I introduced her to the potty yesterday. She loved to sit on the potty and carry it around the house so I assumed she just thought it was a new toy. Well, I guess she somehow made the connection about what it was for. Who knows, it could totally be fluke and she won't do it again for months.
She says quite a few words and is even starting to pair words together. For example "daddy, bye bye" to say daddy went to work, "light off", "all done", "all better", "bee bum" when I'm supposed to change her bum. She will also say please and thank you without cuing (some of the time). She is also really tall for her age, past the 95th percentile at 87 cm (~34 inches) and is average weight at 26.5 pounds.
I really enjoy being a stay at home mom. I like to go to work sometimes but she is such an easy girl, busy, but easy. I don't know if I'll still feel like this when I have 2 kids running around but I am really enjoying my time with Aryana now. It's much better than when I was on mat leave because we own a second car now so it gives me so much more freedom. I just feel bad that I can't take Aryana to the park by myself anymore because I'm not supposed to lift and bend too much.
I have an ultrasound this Tuesday. It's at St. B so we won't be able to find out the gender unfortunately. The success of the stitch will be assessed. If there is any funneling or dilating I will be put on bed rest again. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen because I don't know what will happen about taking care of Aryana. So, just praying everything will stay tightly closed!
Oh yeah, I can do sedentary work so if anyone knows of a part time office job please let me know!
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey Carolyn, if you want me to, we have software at St. Boniface. I can check out your ultrasound and let you know. 'Course, I'd get fired....
Post a Comment