My goals are:
- 3 naps a day, longer than 30 minutes each. (If her naps are too short she tends to fall asleep nursing and cannot make it to her next nap time, therefore she ends up having 4-5 short naps per day.)
- Napping alone in her crib, not being held.
- Going to bed between 6-7 at night.
- Sleeping for at least 3 hour stretches at night. (Currently she has one 3 hour stretch then wakes up every hour or two. There is no reason for her to awake every hour at night.)
- Waking up around 7 in the morning with a smile on her face. (that's actually the best time of Ben and my day because she is ECSTATIC to see us in the morning.)
I hope everyone now understands my expectations and don't think I am being unreasonable. I actually enjoy cuddling with her at night because she isn't always cuddly during the day because she wants to move around and play.


2 comments:
I think those are completely reasonable. I think the only thing I had done differently was to put Gavin to bed after 10 so that it felt like I'd get a longer stretch. I don't remember when that ended though. I think he went earlier and earlier once he started eating solids at 6 months.
Carolyn,
I really hope that you feel the support you need from the people around you. We totally GET what you are going through. Sometimes, no matter how you explain it to people, they do not understand what 'sleep training' means and they don't think that babies actually need us to respect their need for sleep. A lot of people think that babies should be 'flexible' and go to sleep anywhere and anytime. But you and I know that's not healthy for them. I respect the fact that you are working through the Dr. Weisbluth (sp?) book and incorporating his advice into your routine. You should never feel like you have to defend your choices - you are her parent and you get to choose what you think is best, no matter what other people say. You should not have to feel like you need to post your expectations and clarify what you are doing. You are doing a great job and no one can question that. Believe me, even after you have your second one, people will still question what you are doing, and why, and why don't you try this??? Just ignore it and don't even respond! It will save you a lot of grief!
Post a Comment