Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is fast approaching. I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day, except when Ben and I were dating. One Valentine's Day he redecorated his room to mimic a restaurant. He cooked dinner which we ate by candle light and we exchanged gifts. Since we have been married Valentine's Day has passed without much fuss. In fact, I would be mad at Ben if he wasted money buying flowers or a dumb stuffed animal. But in no way do I feel unloved.

Ben will be embarrassed but I'm going to share the softer side of his intimidating persona.

1. He always kisses me and tells me he loves me before he leaves for work.
2. He holds my hand when we are walking and in the car (as much as he can with a standard).
3. He needs a hug and a kiss when he comes home from work.
4. We have always cooked dinner together and as you know he has been doing all the cooking lately.
5. He always puts his dirty clothes in the hamper. (Something he didn't do before we were married but he consciously changed that habit when we got married because he knew it would bother me. And I didn't even ask him to do that.)
6. He brings me flowers or treats when I'm sad or have been really stressed.
7. If I get dressed up he always tells me how pretty I look. (I know I should dress up more often, I'm just lazy. By dressing up I mean no sweats/scrubs and applying make-up.)
8. He likes to cuddle.
9. He is very patient with me when I am feeling unwell.
10. He likes to spend time with me and he makes sure I know it.
11. He plays with my hair to make me feel good and help me relax.
12. When we are both sitting on the couch he will always get me a drink when I ask. (Another lazy habit of mine.)

There are many more endearing traits Ben has but I won't bore you. Staying home and watching daytime TV certainly reinforces how blessed I am. I've seen many talk shows and reality TV shows that tend to show men in a negative light.

So, we don't make a big deal out of Valentine's Day but I sure know I am loved everyday of the year.

3 comments:

tena_mom said...

I looove Valentine's day. Always have. I make a special dinner and have the candles and music going and we put valentines under our plates (all the kids had to do this for each other too). I am sad that it has gotten down to just 3 of us that day.

Linda said...

Ben is one of my very favourite people too! He is a sweetie!

mmichele said...

Better to know every day than just once per year, I agree. And Ben is such a softy!